Saturday, March 9, 2013

What Your Primary Care May Not Know About Your Thyroid May Hurt You

This past week, I accidentally recorded the Fox News Channel’s show, Sunday Housecall. Just as I was about to delete it from my DVR list, the show’s description caught my eye. One of the lead segments was on thyroid health. Out of curiosity, I decided to watch the recording. 

Dr. David Samadi made the following statement: “Your doctor may say that your thyroid hormones are normal, but they could be a low normal, not optimal enough. So, you may have to have a conversation (with your Primary Care Provider) and boost it toward the higher normal.” 

I see this all the time with our clients at Matrix Wellness Solutions. Sub-clinical hypothyroidism, as Dr. Samadi is referring to, is more common than one might think. It’s also one of the most overlooked disorders of aging. Now, don’t get me wrong. When I speak of “aging” in the last statement, I’m referring to anyone over 30 years of age. Few people realize that from age 30 to 50 years our thyroid hormone declines about 20-30% -- decline measured as decreased production, decreased conversion, decreased sensitivity, or a combination of these. It may still be in the normal range, but it’s definitely NOT optimal. 

Treating thyroid hormone to “optimal” levels is one of the most beneficial things we can do in medicine. It only takes a slightly different approach and mindset, but the benefits are numerous: weight loss, blood sugar regulation, osteoporosis prevention, mental clarity, short-term memory improvement, mood enhancement, and the list goes on. 

I’ve included the link to the Sunday Housecall segment, so you can check it out for yourself. 

Enjoy… 



No comments:

Post a Comment